Sunday, June 27, 2004

And so another year passes...

Well, I'm 27. Just about time to quit telling!

As promised, text from Dennis's card:

"A Promise of Love for Your Birthday"

I wish
I could buy you
A thousand beautiful gifts
For your birthday -
Fancy things, luxuries,
Suprises to delight you -
But I know the things
That make life happy
Can't be bought

...like love,
And the closeness
Two people share

Time -
Days spent together
When we're happy
No matter what we're doing...

Kindness -
The little things we do
For one another...

These things can't be bought,
And yet
They're the best gifts of all...

And so,
For your birthday,
I'm giving you this promise
As part of my gift -
To love you even more
And make you
Even happier,
To make all our days
Together
Days to remember
Always.

Happy Birthday
All my love always

Dennis


Yes, vomit :) It made me cry when I got it. He makes me such a girly-girl. *sigh*



For my birthday gift, Dennis, Chris and I went to Litchfield. We stopped by my folk's house and picked up Mom. We all four went to the lake to play at the playground. There is a "pizza pan" spinning thing that I almost made Dennis sick on!

Then we went to The Ariston, which is an old cafe on Route 66. I just love the place! I had a french dip, which was excellent as always. The suprise of the evening was an ENTIRE two layer red velvet cake. This place has the best desserts. Oh, it was heavenly!



I love the way Dennis listens to me and goes out of his way to please me. This was such a special birthday because I got something so simple, but so me. It's so nice to be loved!

If you ever go, though, you really should get a horseshoe sandwich. It's the central Illinois thing to do.


From cooking.com:

The signature food of Springfield, Illinois is a sandwich known as a horseshoe. It has been credited to a chef that worked at the Leland Hotel in 1928 and has become Springfield's most famous contribution to the world of food. It consists of two hamburgers on two slices of toast, covered with cheddar cheese sauce and buried beneath a mound of French fries.

For the Welsh Rarebit Sauce:
2 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup beer
2 egg yolks
3 cups grated Old English or other sharp white cheddar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt

For the Sandwich:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 slices toasted thick white bread
2 pounds cooked French fries

TO MAKE THE SAUCE: Set up a double boiler or set a medium-sized stainless-steel bowl over a pot of simmering water. Check to make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Melt the butter in the double boiler and then add the beer. While constantly whisking, slowly incorporate the egg yolks. Add the cheese and stir constantly until melted and the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon: this should take 5 to 8 minutes. Add the Worcestershire and mustard. Season the sauce with salt to taste. To avoid a stringy sauce, it is important to constantly stir the cheese and be sure that the water is not boiling, but rather simmering.

TO COOK THE BEEF: Season the beef with the salt and pepper and form it into eight 6-ounce patties. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat or set up an electric grill, and cook the patties, a few at a time, 5 minutes per side for medium.

TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH: For each serving, place two slices of the toast on a large plate and top each with a patty. Pour the rarebit sauce over the beef and top the sauce with French fries. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy the Leland Hotel, Springfield, Illinois

Of course you can always get your horseshoe with ham instead of beef. I actually like the ham better.

No comments: