Monday, June 21, 2004

Reading List

I finally have time to read again! I used to read voraciously, but school reading really cuts into leisure reading. I'm graduated, so it's time to start up again in earnest. I think I missed too much literature during my science & math heavy college career, so I clipped the Cliff's Notes list as a "summer" reading list. Of course it's going to take much more than summer to do it, but you always have to force yourself into reading the "classics."

I cut what I had read within a reasonable amount of time. I cut a whole slew of Dickens. I cut randomly. I had Dennis shout "delete" at whatever interval he felt like. The list is still too long. Yes, I have missed quite a bit! No, I honestly haven't read any of these except for Pearl Buck's The Good Earth, which I believe we tackled in 10th grade? I'm sure I'll gain new appreciation to re-read it.

Ambassadors, Henry James
Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
As I Lay Dying, Faulkner
Bean Trees, Barbara Kingsolver
Black Like Me, John Howard Griffin
Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
Death of a Salesman, Arthur Miller
Different Drummer, William Melvin Kelley
Dubliners, Joyce
Ethan Frome, Wharton
Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
Giver, Lois Lowry
Good Earth, Pearl Buck
Idiot, Fyodor Dostoevsky
Inherit the Wind, Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
Killer Angels, Michael Shaara
Light in August, William Faulkner
Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert
Man and Superman & Caesar and Cleopatra, George Bernard Shaw
Miss Lonelyhearts & The Day of the Locust, Nathanael West
Moll Flanders, Daniel Defoe
Nana, Emile Zola
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Notes from Underground, Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old Man and the Sea, Hemingway
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Kesey
Outsiders, S.E. Hinton's
Pearl, John Steinbeck
Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens
Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
Raisin in the Sun, Vivian Hansberry
Red and the Black, Robert Stendhal
Red Badge of Courage, Crane
Rivals & School for Scandal, Richard Brinsley Sheridan
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen
Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
Steppenwolf & Siddhartha, Herman Hesse
Stranger, Albert Camus
Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
Tender Is the Night, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Hardy
Three Musketeers, Alexandre Dumas
Victory, Joseph Conrad
Way of the World, William Congreve
Winesburg, Ohio, Sherwood Anderson
Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
Yellow Raft in Blue Water, Michael Dorris

I have every intention of picking up more from the Cliff's Notes list at a later date. This is more than enough, no?

No comments: