Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

I've been watching Mardi Gras on Nola.com's webcams. Every year this makes me itchy to get back to New Orleans. I'm also considering trying to drag Dennis down to the Fat Tuesday Parade tonight.

It seems foreign that the parade is going down Washington Avenue instead of through Soulard, but it is exciting that it seems to be catching on, I guess? Except that it becomes less fun and "secret," and more like everything else that gets popular in St. Louis. By that I mean white bread, strictly enforced, overcrowded, overhyped, and bound to make you feel inferior somehow. The biggest concern becomes where to park instead of how much fun it is going to be. When we first started going to Soulard Mardi Gras, Tuesday was the "big" day, and we couldn't convince anyone else from school to come with us. I still don't really understand doing Fat TUESDAY on Saturday, but whatever. I'm also not a huge fan of Washington Avenue anymore. It caught on in that damn exclusivist way too. It used to be a thrill just to go there, but now it's just another place to encounter velvet ropes.

I need to stop complaining and just listen to the weather forecast. Maybe it will be fun to go tonight if it really does snow!

No comments: