Sunday, February 06, 2005

Squirrel Hunting

I have officially gone hunting!

Dennis and I went out in the woods behind his parent's house today. I had a 20 gauge, and he had his new .22 rifle. (And his silly Bi-Fur-Pod, which I refuse to call anything but "shooting sticks.") It started raining when we were still at the car getting the rifle out of its case. Squirrels apparently sleep in their nests during showers. We tromped around, I shot twice at a Bud Light can so I could see what the gun was like, I learned how to load and unload and work the action on it with cold, wet hands. We sat for about 45 minutes on one hill crest that was ringed with oaks and about four squirrel nests. Dennis saw something poke its head out of one of the nests, but that was about it. I had a good time anyway. We just got finished breaking the guns down and cleaning them all out.

No comments: