Thursday, January 05, 2006

But what if it isn't a shotgun wedding?

This week we found out that you can't schedule a courthouse wedding in St. Charles county until you are within ninety days if you want an afternoon spot, or sixty days if you want an elusive morning one. Of course travel planning for something as important as a honeymoon needs more lead time than that, at least the way I prefer to do it.

I'm frustrated. I've already seen that getting certain hotels in Memphis might be difficult the weekend I'm looking at, and I really did want to get married at 9:00 A.M. and hit the road for the day earlier rather than later. I'm afraid it will be too late and we'll be too tired if we don't leave town until 4:00 or 5:00 in the afternoon. I have hit a snag, and I have stopped thinking about it again.

I realized that I really don't want a wedding. I want to be married. (I already knew this, since I already had my wedding, and now I want a marriage...) I want the actual "ceremony" to be as unfussy and quick as possible. I really do want a courthouse wedding for no other reason than it is done and over with in three to five minutes. I am very excited about going away on a trip with Dennis though. I wonder if that means I am focused on the wrong thing, or the right thing?

No comments: