Saturday, July 17, 2004

I'm a Midwestener!

These are the states of the union that I've seen. Add a chunk of Canada to it, because I've been about 115 miles in from Sault Ste. Marie on a train.


create your own personalized map of the USA
 
Now don't take this to mean that I don't travel.  I've seen any number of places here in the Midwest, and within easy striking distance of home.  There are so many things to do!  Everyone should stop flying over the fly-overs and take a look around.  Yes, we have the Ozarks, but we've also got Chicago - and everything in between!  There isn't a lack of culture.  It isn't even boring.  Vast fields of corn on clear summer days can be just as beautiful as other vista in the world.  It just takes being able to appreciate what you've got!
 
I want to see the American West.  I want to see New England.  I love the historical aspects of both places, as well as the visual impact.  I want to see real mountains.  I want to see Washington D.C. just once.  I want to see the Pacific Northwest.  I want to see the desert Southwest.  I think we've got more travel destinations right here at home than I can ever possibly visit.  I have quite a list of things within a day's drive of St. Louis that I haven't done yet to keep me busy for a long time.  For instance, I've never actually stopped in Kansas City and looked around.  I've never seen the sights in Memphis.
 
I want to take Dennis to a lot of the wonderful places I've seen in the past.  He just has to see New Orleans.  I want to take him all over the UP of Michigan and Minnesota.  I want him to see The House on the Rock and visit a cheese factory with me.  He's never had good fresh curds, let alone deep-fried curds!
 
My obsession lately has been driving to a nearby small town - like Vandalia, Illinois or Washington, Missouri - staying in a bed and breakfast, and just taking in whatever there is to see.  Just for the weekend.  I'm happy with simple trips like that.
 
Heck, there are things in St. Louis itself that I haven't done, and other things that I'll never get tired of doing.  The view from the Arch, the Botanical Garden, going to see the Cardinals - these are things I'll never pass up an opportunity to go do.
 
Just look at the pretty city I live in!
 

No comments: